As you consider having a website created for your company, there are some questions that you should ask yourself:
- Who is my target audience (Children, Business People, Teachers?)
- What message does my site need to convey?
- How often will information change (Weekly, Monthly, Yearly?)
- What size of site do I need (How many pages?)
- What is my price range?
Here is a list of items that will help you prepare to have your site created:
- Business Information (Name, Address, Phone/Fax, E-mail)
- Copy of Logo, Trademarks, Letterheads (digital preferred)
- Photos and/or graphics (with permission if necessary)
- On disk or e-mailed (jpg format)
- Domain Name Choices (2 or 3, in order of precedence)
- Organized Text Information
- E-mailed or on disk (saved as text file, or word document)
- Hard copy clearly written for us to type
- Ideas for the look of the page (ie. color scheme, layout style, etc.)
- Brochures, business cards, etc.
- Any Links that you will want included on your site
- List of keywords that will help people find you (ie. vacation, hardware, music teacher, British Columbia, etc.)
A website gives your company the power of the internet, making your business accessible to thousands of people right in their own homes. The costs that are involved with a website are:
- Design & Development Fee - Web Designer
- Hosting Fee - Hosting Company (Ranges from $15 - $20 / month for basic plan)
- Domain Name - Domain Registration Company (Usually $25 - $50 / year)
- Upkeep Fees - Web Designer
Keep in mind that a website is only as good as the content that you provide. Make sure that it is accurate, concise, and that it sells your business. You may consider having your information written professionally. Here is some content to consider when laying out the text of your site.
- Description of your business and it's staff
- FAQ's are always a good idea
- Newsletters, Announcements, Promotions, etc.
- Use brochures that you already have to help you
- Organize information in outlined format
- Main Heading (Page Heading - ie. About Us)
- Sub Headings (Fall under Page Headings - ie. The Staff)
- Locate other websites that you would like to link to yours
- Have graphics and logos of other businesses that would like to advertise on your site